Technology is reinventing the education marketspace, and at OCAS – we play a vital role in helping shape the landscape. We create new pathways for exploring and applying to Ontario’s public colleges and also deliver dependable technology systems and business services to support our industry partners.
Named a Waterloo Area Top Employer for six years in a row, we’re looking for innovators who can bring their expertise and passion to our growing team. If that sounds like you, we’re looking forward to meeting you.
Are you passionate about designing end-to-end experiences that are usable, accessible, and a pleasure to interact with? If so, we’re looking for a confident, detail-oriented individual to join our team as a Product Designer.
As a Product Designer at OCAS, you’ll play an important role in designing the products and services that help nearly 300,000 individuals every year as they take the first step toward a brighter future through college. An integral member of our Product Management team, you’ll be relied on to work with internal and external stakeholders to design solutions that meet our customers’ needs.
Applying an in-depth knowledge of user research methods, interaction design, and software principles, you’ll build an understanding and empathy for customers and users, and design end-to-end solutions that positively impact their lives.
As a member of the OCAS team, you’ll work with remarkable individuals and colleagues who support each other in achieving high performance.
- Lead user research, ideation, and creation of interaction designs
- Partner with customer success, product management, and software development teams to continuously iterate on designs and improve the product experience
- Take broad conceptual ideas, understand user needs, and lead the design process into actionable designs and prototypes
- Quickly map out user flows, wireframes, and prototypes at the right level of fidelity for user feedback, validation, and development
- Help identify user needs, pain points, and insights through qualitative and quantitative research methods
- Collect feedback from end users and subject matter experts
- Work with cross-functional teams to design, build, and rollout products that deliver on the product vision
- Plan and conduct usability tests to identify opportunities for improvement and usability experiments to test new products or features
- Use Design Principles and contextual understanding to produce designs that are visually cohesive with the rest of OCAS’ products, with a holistic consideration for the product's future and user experience
- Assist in the creation and maintenance of our design system
- Document design decisions and hand-off notes for developers
- Postsecondary degree or diploma related to interaction design, user experience design, human-computer interaction, or equivalent experience
- 2 to 5 years of professional experience in Product Design
- Knowledge of product design, including common interaction patterns used and associated trade-offs, and best practices for web and mobile applications (bonus points for exposure to web application front end technologies, e.g., CSS)
- Experience collaborating closely with customer success, product management, and software development teams in agile / iterative environments
- Proficiency in user interface design and using prototyping and wireframing tools like Axure RP, InVision, Figma, Sketch, or others
- Experience designing mobile-first interfaces
- Ability to lead all aspects of the user-centred design process from conception to completion
- Communicate complex ideas, goals, and problems in a way that’s accessible, even to those unfamiliar with the subject matter
- Organized and able to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously
- Must have the flexibility to adapt to growing technology and market demands
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong team-player with the ability to engage with all levels of the organization
OCAS is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace. We welcome and encourage applications from diverse candidates, including people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. While we thank all respondents for their interest, only those candidates being invited to interview for this position will be contacted.