Software Developer, Test
Technology is reinventing the education marketspace, and at OCAS – we play a vital role in helping shape the landscape. We create new pathways for exploring and applying to Ontario’s public colleges and also deliver dependable technology systems and business services to support our industry partners.
Named a Waterloo Area Top Employer for six years in a row, we’re looking for innovators who can bring their expertise and passion to our growing team. If that sounds like you, we’re looking forward to meeting you.
Experienced in software development and want to use all the tools at your disposal to test and analyze software applications to improve product experience? We’re looking for a skilled developer who’s eager to find application, performance and system bugs by creating and maintaining automated test frameworks and scripting test scenarios.
As a Software Developer, Test at OCAS, you’ll play an important role in developing and supporting the technology that helps hundreds of thousands of individuals every year as they take the first step toward a brighter future through college. An integral member of our Quality and Agile development teams, you’ll be instrumental in accelerating and improving the quality and delivery of OCAS products and services by researching, proposing, and piloting new ways to improve our product quality.
As a quality advocate, you’ll test features deployed to the cross-functional test environment shared by all our products, and will be challenged to imagine ways that both related and seemingly unrelated features or products might interact with each other to expose real-world problems faced by our users. A self-starter, you’ll also have the ability to influence the direction of our team and our products. With a focus on the design, development, and implementation of test code, you’ll contribute and maintain OCAS' automated test suites to support continuous deployment for our products and environments. You’ll also work with development teams to ensure quality throughout the development process by reviewing coding practices, participating in code reviews, and reviewing requirements from a Quality perspective. As a member of the OCAS team, you’ll work with remarkable individuals and colleagues who support each other in achieving high performance.
You share OCAS’ core Quality values:
- We can test anything put in front of us whether or not we have requirements for it: a prototype, a design, a flowchart, an idea, or even actual software
- All software systems inherently have bugs and problems to be found
- A passing test suite is very worrisome; it means we haven’t worked hard enough to find bugs yet
- Automated test systems are only a piece of a successful test plan
In this role, you will:
- Work closely with team members, including testers, developers, product managers, client service representatives, and others, to build and execute exploratory test plans that rigorously test product functionality and expose potential failures
- Stay up-to-date on the latest consumer, technology, and regulatory trends outside of OCAS’ control (e.g. new browser features, new OS platforms, cloud infrastructure configurations, accessibility regulations, OWASP top security risks), and explore how they might affect our products
- Raise awareness about issues discovered during testing, and work collaboratively with members of other departments to develop solutions
Develop and maintain OCAS’ automated API, performance, load, unit, and UI test frameworks
- Design tests within these frameworks
- Create tools to support manual test activities, such as generating test data, setting up test scenarios, configuring and validating environment setup, and data set validation
You should have:
- A resume no longer than two pages, which clearly describes the interesting and unique ways you’ve improved products, processes, quality, and / or customer experience in the past, while in a software testing or software development role. Communicate what you did and the amazing outcomes you achieved. Don’t provide only a long list of skills and technology frameworks that you’re experienced in.
- A technical college or university credential in Computer Science, Information Technology or another related area
- Development experience with C#, SQL, and Visual Studio
- An interest in software testing, with demonstrated capability in either software development or automated test development
- Experience using Azure DevOps / TFS, or another similar SDLC tool, to integrate testing within a CI / CD environment
- Experience with MSTest V2, Fluent Assertions, NUnit, JUnit, or another similar test framework
- RESTful API development or testing
- The ability to take divergent concepts, thoughts, and findings, and converge them into a clear, complete, and concise written or oral message
- A resume that includes the word “Coconut" somewhere (we only want applicants who are reading the job description in detail, after all, being detail-oriented is a common trait of successful testers. Including this random word helps prove that you are.... or perhaps you are a very advanced “AI” algorithm!)
- An ability to identify and implement technical process improvements throughout the software development lifecycle
Desired experience with:
- Azure, AWS, Google Cloud, or another similar computing platform, to analyze system data, performance, trends, and alerts
- Various testing strategies and methodologies, especially Session-Based Exploratory Testing
- Experience creating mind maps, or using other brainstorming tools and methods
- Jmeter, or other performance testing scripting languages
- Test scripting with Selenium WebDriver, cypress.io, TestCafe, Appium, or other front-end frameworks
OCAS is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace. We welcome and encourage applications from diverse candidates, including people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. While we thank all respondents for their interest, only those candidates being invited to interview for this position will be contacted.