New Venture Lead
Technology is reinventing higher education and at OCAS we play a vital role in helping shape this evolving landscape. We deliver dependable technology systems and business services to support our industry partners and create new pathways for learners exploring and applying to Ontario’s public colleges.
Recently named a Waterloo Area Top Employer for the ninth consecutive year, we’re looking for innovators who can bring their expertise and passion to our growing team.
Are you confident, detail-oriented individual who’s passionate about building new products and services that positively impact people’s lives? If so, you may be the person to join our team as a New Venture Lead.
The New Venture Lead plays a pivotal role in shaping the future offerings of OCAS. This individual will enable the organization to ideate, design, and launch innovative products and services, ensuring they meet market demands, align with our mission, and contribute to our business objectives. The role requires a blend of creative vision, technical expertise to drive delivery, and an outcome-oriented mindset.
As a member of the OCAS team, you’ll work with remarkable colleagues who are passionate about higher education.
- We offer a hybrid work environment that gives you the flexibility to work in our Guelph office, remotely, or a combination of both.
- Your team is passionate about technology and encouraged to explore new ways of working.
- You’ll start off with 22 vacation days, as well as paid company breaks in the summer and during the holiday season.
- We offer a corporate pension plan to help you prepare for your next stage of life.
- We provide generous benefits that include vision and dental care, extended health care, life insurance, and more.
- Because we understand the importance of lifelong learning, we offer a generous professional development allowance, as well as other initiatives to help you ‘skill up’.
- We support several local charities and offer paid time off to volunteer in your community.
In this role, you will:
- Identify new business opportunities, products, or service ideas that can be developed in alignment with the organization's strategic plan and goals.
- Validate ideas and new product/service concepts through market research, competitor analysis, partner feedback, assumption testing, and experimentation.
- Define and oversee the new product development process, ensuring timely delivery within budget when taking new concepts from zero to minimum viable product or version 1.
- Collaborate with software development, product design, and other teams to transform concepts into tangible products.
- Anticipate and mitigate risks associated with new product development.
- Create and validate viable business models for selected ideas, ensuring alignment with organizational goals.
- Determine resource requirements, potential returns on investment, and scalability prospects.
- Engage and collaborate with cross-functional teams - including Innovation, Finance, Marketing, Strategic Initiatives, and others - to bring ideas to fruition.
- Present and advocate for selected initiatives to executive leadership and secure buy-in.
- Enable a culture of open communication and collaborative innovation across teams and diverse stakeholder groups.
- Monitor and analyze product performance metrics post-launch, making recommendations for improvements or iterations.
- Stay abreast of industry trends, emerging technologies, and market shifts to ensure products remain competitive.
- Enable a culture of learning, experimentation, and data-driven decision making within the organization.
You should have:
- Post-secondary diploma or degree in Business, Design, Entrepreneurship, or related fields
- Product management certifications or equivalent experience highly desired (e.g., Certified Scrum Product Owner, Pragmatic Marketing)
- 5+ years of experience in entrepreneurial, business development, product management, or innovation roles
- Demonstrated ability to conceive, develop, and launch new business ventures
- Excellent communication, negotiation, and presentation skills
- Analytical mindset with the ability to identify market gaps and opportunities
- Resilience and adaptability in the face of challenges
- Ability to take ownership and work both autonomously and collaboratively
- Ability to motivate and influence cross-functional teams
Salary: $80,000 - $110,000
Position Reports to: Senior Director, Product and Applied Research
OCAS is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace. We welcome and encourage applications from diverse candidates, including people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. While we thank all respondents for their interest, only those candidates being invited to interview for this position will be contacted.