Director, Software Solutions
Technology is reinventing the education marketspace, and at OCAS – we play a vital role in helping shape the landscape. We create new pathways for exploring and applying to Ontario’s public colleges and also deliver dependable technology systems and business services to support our industry partners.
Named a Waterloo Area Top Employer for six years in a row, we’re looking for innovators who can bring their expertise and passion to our growing team. If that sounds like you, we’re looking forward to meeting you.
OCAS is looking for a confident, forward-thinking individual to join our team as Director Software Solutions. In this role, you’ll bring strategic oversight and functional leadership to a diverse team of committed, passionate software developers who deliver and support technology services for OCAS.
As Director, Software Solutions, you’ll provide leadership in all technology, systems, and related processes to ensure OCAS has the technology capabilities to support all business functions. You’ll develop productive relationships with business leaders across the organization to influence how applications can enable new sources of value.
Reporting to the Chief Information Officer, you’ll build and maintain relationships with other OCAS leaders to develop a clear understanding of business needs, as well as continually look for leading edge and innovative solutions for the recruitment, development, and retention of employees.
- Provide leadership, vision, and direction to the Software Solutions department to ensure it contributes to the organization in achieving its goals.
- Manage Software Solutions personnel, developing their skills and capabilities to meet the needs of the organization, as well as building on existing recruiting capabilities to address new needs and skills gaps.
- Develop a "people strategy" that aligns with the business strategy.
- Develop and maintain a workforce with the appropriate mix of business knowledge, technical skills, and competencies that balance the needs between growing the agility required to achieve business objectives and ensuring the core functions are reliable, high quality, stable, and efficient.
- Provide leadership, coaching, and direction to department managers and employees.
- Ensure cost-effective delivery of technology services to meet business needs and respond with agility to changing business priorities.
- Use influencing and negotiation skills to create synergies across the organization that enable cost-effective and innovative shared solutions in achievement of business goals.
- Share accountability for the attainment of OCAS’ Strategic and Business Plans and play a critical leadership role in championing positive change, technical excellence, continuous improvement, and organizational / operational effectiveness across the department.
- Define and enhance methodologies and practices for application lifecycle management in line with best practice and practical experience of continuous improvement.
- Manage relationships with major vendors and service providers to ensure the services they provide meet OCAS standards and are delivered in a cost-effective manner.
- Ten or more years of experience in software development roles.
- Five or more years of leadership experience in a related industry with a proven record of professional integrity and performance.
- Extensive knowledge of and leadership experience with modern platform development in a multi-tenant, SaaS environment.
- Experience leading large cross-functional teams and/or organization-wide programs, as well as influencing senior-level management and key stakeholders effectively across the organization and within complex contexts.
- Ability to improve operational efficiency and service delivery effectiveness across all lines of business and technology platforms.
- Demonstrated ability to encourage innovation and collaboration that fosters creative thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Effective influencing and negotiation skills in an environment where resources may not be in direct control of this role.
- Excellent analytical, strategic conceptual thinking, strategic planning, and execution skills.
- Deep understanding of current and emerging technologies, and how organizations are using them to innovate and how they may be applied to OCAS.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and execute a strategic people plan that ensures the right people are in the right roles at the right time and that employees are highly engaged and satisfied.
- Ability to identify and leverage resources internally and externally to the organization to enhance capabilities and fill gaps in skills or resource availability.
- Ability to drive organizational change and build capabilities that effectively balance the needs between continuously exploiting capabilities to optimize operational efficiency and delivering innovative and agile technical solutions to enable the business to deliver digital business opportunities.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to explain digital concepts and technologies to business leaders, and business concepts to the technical workforce.
- Strong resource management, budget planning, and financial management skills.
- Experience working with .NET, Angular, SQL, and Microsoft Azure.
- In response to COVID-19, we’ve been operating in a blended virtual and in-office arrangement. We consider everyone’s situation based on their health and family obligations, the business needs, and Government mandates for working from home.
- In January, we’re rolling out a hybrid model where you can spend five days each month (or more if you prefer) working in the office, and the rest of your time working from home.
- When you’re in the office, you can take comfort in knowing that our surroundings are cleaned vigorously every day and there are spacious private cubicles to give us the physical distance to feel comfortable.
OCAS is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace. We welcome and encourage applications from diverse candidates, including people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. While we thank all respondents for their interest, only those candidates being invited to interview for this position will be contacted.