Data Warehouse Solution Analyst
Technology is reinventing the education marketspace, and at OCAS – we play a vital role in helping shape the landscape. We create new pathways for exploring and applying to Ontario’s public colleges and also deliver dependable technology systems and business services to support our industry partners.
Named a Waterloo Area Top Employer for six years in a row, we’re looking for innovators who can bring their expertise and passion to our growing team. If that sounds like you, we’re looking forward to meeting you.
At OCAS, we’re looking for a passionate and experienced data technology guru to join our team of data analysts design, build, and strengthen our data products and initiatives. You’ll play an important role in designing the back-end data foundations that power our Data Warehouse and surfaces our unique dataset that Ontario's postsecondary education system relies on. You’ll also be responsible for data quality and development tools, standards, models, and processes.
In your role as Data Warehouse Solution Analyst, you’ll be a senior member of the Data Solutions team, working with and reporting to the Team Lead, Data Solutions. With well-developed problem-solving abilities, you can organize and manage multiple priorities, meet deadlines, and work well under pressure. A confident self-starter with excellent interpersonal and communication skills, you’re most comfortable working with peers across the organization to deliver high-quality data solutions.
As a member of the OCAS team, you’ll work with remarkable individuals and teams who support each other in achieving high performance.
In this role, you will:
- Develop the technologies and services that deliver data to internal and external data analysts through SQL database and ETL technologies
- Develop MS-SQL queries and stored procedures
- Design databases and ensure their stability, reliability, and performance
- Set our team’s development standards and processes to ensure rapid, incremental, high-quality delivery
- Contribute to the software technology roadmap for OCAS’ internal and external data products by detailing the architecture and design needed to fulfil product roadmap objectives
- Participate in the discovery of new data products and services to meet organizational goals by researching, prototyping, and recommending data technology solutions
- Participate in a cross-functional team with members from our Product Management, Software Development, Project Management, and Testing teams to successfully deliver data solutions in an agile development environment
You should have:
- A diploma, degree, or broad experience in data science, computer science, or software development
- Outstanding skills in data analysis, statistics, data modeling, and reporting with a passion for interpreting data to find the story it tells
- Extensive knowledge of normalization and relational database management systems
- Experience developing and managing database and model design in SSDT in Visual Studio for SQL, SSIS, SSAS, and SSRS solutions
- Technical proficiency in:
- T-SQL scripting, with both the ability to consume and create data dictionaries and documentation
- Data wrangling and modelling experience using DAX, Python, R, or similar
- Code and release management tools such as GitHub, Azure DevOps, or similar
- Strong MS Excel skills, especially using pivot tables, macros, and ODBC data sources
Nice to haves:
- Experience with Power BI managing dashboards, reports, and datasets
- Experience with Oracle databases
- Experience with natural language processing tools and techniques
- Understanding of Ontario’s postsecondary education system
- Understanding of open data systems, particularly in education and government
- Understanding of the concepts of data governance and knowledge management
- Writing and presentation experience with an ability to convey technical and statistical information to a non-technical audience
- In response to COVID-19, we’ve been operating in a blended virtual and in-office arrangement. We consider everyone’s situation based on their health and family obligations, the business needs, and Government mandates for working from home.
- In January, we’re rolling out a hybrid model where you can spend five days each month (or more if you prefer) working in the office, and the rest of your time working from home.
- When you’re in the office, you can take comfort in knowing that our surroundings are cleaned vigorously every day and there are spacious private cubicles to give us the physical distance to feel comfortable.
OCAS is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace. We welcome and encourage applications from diverse candidates, including people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. While we thank all respondents for their interest, only those candidates being invited to interview for this position will be contacted.