OCAS serves Ontario communities and learners through Ontario colleges. It’s an exciting time for higher education as disruptive advances in technology are combining with changing expectations of learners to present new opportunities for OCAS to pursue. In this environment, OCAS continues to be a positive innovation force, working with a diverse and visionary ecosystem of innovators from across Ontario's colleges.
The Emerging Technology team at OCAS focuses on connecting the dots between people, ideas, and emerging technology to create new opportunities. We want to know what technologies to pursue and what challenges are soon-solvable – like digital credentials, lifelong learning, competency-based learning, and predictive analytics. We work daily to identify technology event horizons using pragmatic, early-stage innovation methods and processes.
Are you curious about the future of applied artificial intelligence and machine learning? Are you perpetually knowledgeable about the business of digital technology? Are you interested in working with purposeful people to unlock the potential of their ideas and create a new future for learners in Ontario? If so, read on!
As Innovation Lead and member of OCAS’ Emerging Technology team, you’ll focus on idea capture through business and use case development, while supporting idea generation and market validation. You have a corporate entrepreneur mindset and can synthesize multiple (and sometimes competing) value propositions as they emerge from our ecosystem of innovators. Your primary focus will be on data-driven and machine learning enabled business opportunities.
As an experienced early-stage corporate entrepreneur, you use proven innovation tools and methods to engage stakeholders and design plans to test, validate, and communicate new technology-based value propositions. You have a strong interest in the business of technology and a willingness to continuously learn in areas such as machine learning, blockchain, cloud computing, and education management (the business of OCAS).
- Create new business incubation plans and business experimentation approaches to test selected plans, with a focus on data-driven and machine learning-enabled opportunities
- Act on new business plans, including business model development, new project proposals, and in-market validation for ideas / prototypes / MVPs, synchronizing with OCAS’ current product and project plans, and supporting a drop-in entrepreneurs-in-residence program for the OCAS team
- Design and create content for discovery-oriented workshops using methods drawn from design thinking, service design, design sprints, jobs-to-be-done, and open innovation challenges
- Co-manage in-market prototype and MVP validation projects with our Prototype Lead
- Be an example of entrepreneurial leadership in our organization and across our innovator network in the colleges
- You’re experienced with developing qualitative and quantitative business models for data-driven businesses, with a focus on descriptive, predictive, and prescriptive analytics and machine-learning enabled products and services
- You’re a skilled questioner, motivated by curiosity, empowered by nurturing the ideas of others, and good at associative thinking (i.e., connecting the dots)
- You can reframe and communicate an opportunity using different assumptions, goals, and constraints
- You’ve successfully engaged with a diverse range of thoughtful innovators and makers
- Using creativity, you believe that all ideas can be validated to generate clarity and managed to reduce the inherent risk of building something new
- You’re a technology-oriented corporate entrepreneur with a bias towards action and learning
- You’re comfortable working at the early stage of an idea and view failure as an accelerated learning opportunity
- You have experience or training in the business of technology, ideally with an interest to grow in the EdTech space
- You’re experienced with one or more innovation engagement formats, such as Design Thinking, Service Design, Design Sprint, or Jobs-to-be-Done
- Optionally, you have data science or machine learning experience
- Optionally, you have experience in crafting value propositions in a minimally viable ecosystem (MVE)
OCAS is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace. We welcome and encourage applications from diverse candidates, including people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. While we thank all respondents for their interest, only those candidates being invited to interview for this position will be contacted.