Manager, Software DevelopmentAt OCAS, we design the pathways that help learners explore and apply to college in Ontario. Through our innovative service offerings, we also create the technology solutions that help our college partners offer world-class learning experiences. As a Waterloo Area Top Employer for seven years in a row, we’re looking for fellow innovators who can bring their technology expertise and passion for education to our growing team. If that sounds like your kind of thing, then we’re looking forward to discussing this role with you soon.
OCAS is looking for a confident, experienced leader to join our team as Manager, Software Development. Reporting to the Director, Software Solutions, you’ll lead the delivery of world-class products and services, while supporting the integration of OCAS technology across the Ontario college system.
As Manager, Software Development, you’ll build relationships with college partners, developing an understanding of their unique needs and translating them into technical solutions. You’ll also lead OCAS’ amazing Software Development team in the creation of innovative, high-quality solutions, including planning, control, quality, and delivery of websites, web applications, integrations, and mobile solutions.
Why choose OCAS?
- We offer a hybrid work environment that gives you the flexibility to work in our Guelph office, remotely, or a combination of both
- Your team is an amazing group of developers who are passionate about technology and are encouraged to explore new ways of working
- You’ll start off with 22 vacation days, as well as paid company breaks in the summer and at Christmas
- We offer a corporate pension plan to help you prepare for your next stage of life
- We also offer generous benefits that include vision and dental care, extended health care, life insurance, and more.
- We understand the importance of lifelong learning, with a generous professional development allowance, as well as other initiatives to help you skill up
- We support several local charities and offer paid time-off to volunteer in your community
In this role, you will:
- Work closely with project managers and product mangers to define key development milestones and manage your team as necessary to ensure delivery
- Lead with continuous improvement and ensure processes and methodologies have the right mix of value, while ensuring delivery is a top priority
- Oversee and manage the complete development lifecycle of the team’s projects by removing impediments to progress, providing guidance and support, and setting clear goals and objectives
- Ensure code branching, build, and deploy processes and tools are continuously maintained and evolving
- Ensure teams work closely with release managers so that no issues or delays result from releases to controlled environments
- Manage the development team, including hiring, coaching, performance reviews, and career development
- Recruit new team members through internal networks, within OCAS and its ecosystem, as well as external options with postings and recruiters
- Provide work estimates, resource allocation, cost estimates, and technical project details throughout the project lifecycle
- Analyze college partner (or any customer) needs and requests, and provide independent and objective advice of the implementation and use of OCAS solutions
- Partner with senior developers and architects in software architecture and design, ensuring fit-for-purpose solutions are implemented to meet business needs
You should have:
- Experience managing team capacity, ensuring necessary slack exists to respond to sudden extra demands and team members can grow through professional development
- Expertise in OOP and software development design patterns
- Ability to write and review code as needed, and provide technical direction and guidance in all phases of the software development lifecycle
- Extensive experience with Microsoft technologies in a leadership role, including hands-on development experience in the Microsoft .NET Framework and Technology stack (C#, .NET/CORE, ASP.NET MVC, Microsoft SQL Server)
- Awareness of new and emerging technologies
- Experience in Agile/Scrum development methodology, with a passion for continual improvement through experimentation
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Strong leadership skills and traits
- A strategic thinker, decision maker, and problem solver
- An effective listener and astute observer
- Ability to ask in-depth, clear, and pertinent questions, and listen effectively to customer needs, both expressed and implied
OCAS is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace. We welcome and encourage applications from diverse candidates, including people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. While we thank all respondents for their interest, only those candidates being invited to interview for this position will be contacted.